Monday, March 1, 2010

Heavenly Fire!

I recently saw this quote, and wanted to grasp onto it and ponder it, chew on it a bit…

"There is in every woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity." ~ Washington Irving

This quote caused me to stop dead in my tracks… hmmm… there was part of it that troubled me! “which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity”

So, I asked myself, “When has the heavenly fire burned brightest in my life?

Looking back on my past and when I was going through the biggest trials, crying out to God, I felt closest to Him. I was in the Word every moment I could, grasping onto every line to catch the nuggets of truth that could carry me through even a single day. I was communing with Him in prayer all through the day, trying to hear his voice speaking to me. In these moments of complete surrender, my flame was burning brightest.

So what happened? Why has the fire dimmed and faded?

Let’s face it…

Life gets good, and I get lazy.

I have short term memory loss I guess. I haven’t always stayed as consistent in my walk with the Lord as I would like. My Bible reading and prayer life has waned at times.

I know I would like to be in that place of abiding in Christ, of walking with him in a consistent walk, no matter what the situation at hand. Seeking him at all times and in all circumstances, not letting the embers of my heart die out, but yearning to keep my heavenly fire burning bright and in turn having it radiate so brightly that others are affected by the light and warmed by its presence.

How about you? Would you like to catch some of that heavenly fire? Let's fan the flame and share it with others.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! This is good! I want that fire too! Preferably without the adversity. Have let the laziness get the best of me - thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! Great quote!

    How ya doing with the no frump challenge? I'm doing okay so far :-)

    Hey there! I'm a new follower of your blog.

    I'm hosting a GUSSY Giveaway too over at my blog if you want to enter:

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2010/04/win-some-gussy-goodness.html#disqus_thread

    Hugs,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete